“Who is Christ Jesus, and why is He the light of nations?” (part 3)
In this episode we are finishing our examination of the first sentence of the Vatican II document Lumen Gentium. In episode 3 we talked about who is Jesus, and in episode 4 we talked about Him as a light. In this episode, we will be tackling the question “To What Nations Are We To Go?”
|From Redemptoris Missio §2 ¶BMissionary activity specifically directed “to the nations” appears to be waning, and this tendency is certainly not in line with the directives of the Council and of subsequent statements of the Magisterium.|
What does it mean to go preach the gospels?
- The English word evangelization comes the Greek evangelium.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraphs 422-424
- A Father who gives good gifts (Luke 11:11-13)
- The Great Commission call all Christians to evangelization, not just the religious.
- “My job is to inform, not convince.” ~ Saint Bernadette Soubirous, the visionary of Our Lady of Lourdes
- Do you have the passion for serving Jesus and His mission of saving souls that iPhone evangelist have for their products?
To which nations we are suppose to go to?
- You might be called to go to another nation but more than likely, you are called to bloom where you are planted.
- New Evangelization
- “there is an intermediate situation, particularly in countries with ancient Christian roots, and occasionally in the younger Churches as well, where entire groups of the baptized have lost a living sense of the faith, or even no longer consider themselves members of the Church, and live a life far removed from Christ and his Gospel. In this case what is needed is a “new evangelization” or a “re-evangelization.” ~ Redemptoris Missio §33 ¶D
- Countries such as Australia, the United States, and several Western European nations.
- Saint John XXIII prayer at the opening of Vatican II for a new Pentecost.
- The New Evangelization is about going back to the basics.
- This is not a code name for the traditional Catholic sect who want to ignore Vatican II and push the Church back. The New Evangelization is a promise of Vatican II to reform — the return to the original form — the Church back to the mission and purpose Jesus gave us.
- Your first mission field is own soul.
- In the depths of your soul, do you believe that Jesus is the best thing to happen in your life?
- Do you get every morning thanking Him for another day to serve Him?
- Are you trying to learn more about Him from studying the Scriptures?
- Are you attending Mass every week?
- Are you regularly seeking forgiveness and healing through the gift of Reconciliation?
- Are you as passionate for Jesus as is an iPhone evangelist for the latest and greatest update or device?
- Before we can be a light to the nations, we must allow the light of Christ to burn within us.
Book Recommendation: Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen
May you be open to receiving the blessings that the Father has for you.
May you be open to conforming yourself to the image of Christ, the light of nations.
May you be open to the boldness of the Holy Spirit guiding you to live a life worthy of your calling.
May you be seeking God’s will for your life and doing what brings Him greater glory.
And I for these blessing on you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Thanks be to God!
Saint George Preca, pray for us!